Lila Jo had her first real sickness this past weekend. She's had congestion and a cough before but nothing like this.
When she woke up Saturday morning she felt really hot to me but I've never been good with determining if a child has a fever or not. I thought maybe she had gotten hot in the night from the heat being on. But after I realized she wasn't acting like herself...she wasn't eating her breakfast and she didn't want to walk or do anything on her own...I took her temperature. 100.8
It kept getting higher and higher and she kept acting more and more unlike herself. I decided to get out our special blanket that was Mama Britt's and we snuggled on the couch watching cartoons. My daughter is full of energy and never wants to sit still with anyone...so I knew something was really wrong. Then it happened. She threw up. A lot. She threw up like an adult. It terrified her and she screamed and cried like never before. I was also scared but trying to keep my cool (unlike the ant incident in which I had a complete emotional breakdown).
She didn't want to move. She was so sick and her fever kept spiking. She didn't sleep and she didn't eat. She was so lethargic and pitiful. I was on the phone with the on-call nurses at 4 am crying because I didn't know what to do for my baby girl. I felt so helpless and it truly broke my heart. I let her stay in the bed with me and we snuggled all night while watching cartoons and trying to catch a little bit of sleep.
Finally after about 36 hours, she started to feel better. Doctor said it was just a nasty virus that would have to run it's course. There was nothing we could do.
We're lucky that Lila hasn't been sick up until this point and I hope it's a while before my baby girl has to go through this again.
Our Little Fella
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment